· Vision may change during pregnancy, and your glasses or contacts may not seem to work as well. Your vision should return to normal after pregnancy.
· The shape of your eyes' surface may change during pregnancy, making your contact lenses not fit as well. Be prepared to use your glasses more often.
· Although pregnancy can be exhausting, always remember to take out your contacts before going to sleep.
· Tell your eye doctor about any eye medications you are using. They will discuss whether you need to continue your eye meds during pregnancy. Most eye doctors aim for minimum use, if any, during this time.
· If eye medications are required during pregnancy for infection or disease, your eye doctor will teach you a way to keep the medication only in your eye and minimize the amount reaching the rest of your body.
· If you are nursing once the baby is born, your eye doctor may continue to closely monitor your eye medications.
Rebecca Mueller, OD