This is one of the most commonly asked questions by patients at their eye exams. Though millions worldwide have undergone the procedure, there are many patients who do not qualify based on certain conditions. The basic requirements include:
1. You must be at least 18 years old
2. Your vision must be stable for a year or more prior to surgery
3. You cannot be pregnant or nursing
4. You must have a healthy eye (no cataracts, glaucoma, or macular degeneration)
5. You must not have a history of dry eyes
6. You must have a healthy cornea (eye's surface) with no scarring, thinning, or infections
7. If you have a large prescription, large astigmatism, or need bifocals you may possibly not qualify
The only way to determine if you are a cadidate is to go through a screening exam by a Lasik surgeon. Matossian Eye Associates does not offer this service, but we would be happy to give you a local referral.
Rebecca Mueller, O.D.