Many women have questions about how to apply make-up while wearing contact lenses and what type of cosmetics to use. Here are a few tips:
· Insert your soft contact lenses before applying make-up. Insert rigid gas permeable contacts after applying make-up.
· Always take out your contacts before removing make-up.
· Always wash your hands before inserting or removing contact lenses.
· Never apply eyeliner to the inside rim of your eyelid.
· Check the expiration date on your cosmetics. Generally, eye make-up such as eyeliner and mascara should be discarded every 3 months to avoid bacterial contamination.
· Look for terms such as "hypo-allergenic" or "for contact lens wearers".
· Avoid waterproof mascara; water-based mascara is better.
· Avoid loose powder eyeshadow. Pressed powder eye shadow is acceptable, but make sure to keep your eyes closed when applying it and brush off any excess before opening your eyes again.
· Never use someone else's make-up or applicators. This could lead to infection.
· If any make-up debris comes in contact with your contact lens, immediately remove it and disinfect it.
Melissa Richard, OD