A clinical trial is a medical research study conducted to evaluate and answer specific questions about a potential treatment for use in patient care. Researchers conduct clinical trials to determine the safety and efficacy of new drugs or study the use of established drugs in new ways.
Clinical trials are meant to benefit future patients. They are performed to assess the potential value of a new therapy without offering proven results.
Clinical trials are never performed until careful scientific research has been conducted to indicate a potential benefit.
Participation in clinical trials is voluntary. Patients can discontinue participation at any time and it will not affect their relationship with their doctor(s) or employees involved in the study.
At MEA we stay current with the latest technology and are honored to be asked to participate in many clinical trials.
- 2015 - Safety and efficacy of OTXDP in post-op pain and inflammation in cataract surgery (Ocular Therapeutix)
- 2015 - Comparison of the safety and efficacy of Ta4 to placebo for the treatment of neurotrophic keratits (ORA)
- 2015 - A registry evaluation of ReSure® Sealant for specified adverse ocular events after sealing corneal incisions in patients undergoing clear cataract surgery (Ocular Therapeutix)
- 2015 - Investigation of trabecular micro-bypass stent system in conjunction with cataract surgery (Glaukos)
- 2015 - The influence of PRN Omega-3 nutritional supplement on visual acuity outcomes in cases undergoing cataract surgery (PRN)
- 2015 - Measurement of Tear Osmolarity in cataract surgeons during one day of their surgery schedule
- 2015 - Cassini measurement and correction of low cylinder (Cassini)
- 2015 - Cassini repeatability of measurement of corneal astigmatism (Cassini)
- 2015 - A retrospective data analysis of MEA patients having Sögren?s syndrome testing as part of their dry eye disease workup
- 2014 - A Prospective, Randomized, Single-Masked, Controlled, Parallel Groups, Multicenter Clinical Investigation of the Glaukos® Suprachroidal Stent Model G3 in Conjunction with Cataract Surgery (Glaukos)
- 2014 - Functional Benefit with Acrysof Natural Chromophore (Alcon).
- 2014 - Lenstec HD and HDO IOLs with Monte Carlo Application
- 2014 - A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Double-Masked, Placibo-Controlled, Randomized Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of a 5.0% Concentration of Lifitegrast Ophthalmic Solution Compared to Placibo in Subjects with Dry Eye and History of Artificial Tear Use (Shire)
- 2014 - IPL Study with Duke Eye Center - 2014
- 2014 - Tecnis Toric (Abbot Medical Optics) 1-Piece IOL Registry
- 2014 - Evaluation of ReSure® Sealant (Ocular Theraputix) in High Risk Cataract Surgery Patients
- 2014 – A Phase 3, Prospective, Randomized, Double-masked, Placebo-controlled, Parallel-design, Multicenter Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of IBI-10090 for the Treatment of Inflammation Associated with Cataract Surgery
- 2014 – Hoffer H-5 International Collaborative Study (HICS): Race and Gender Differences in IOL Calculations.
- 2014 - PRN Physician Recommended Nutriceuticals The Influence of PRN Dry Eye Omega-3 Nutritional Regimen on Tear Osmolarity in Case of Dry Eye Disease.
- 2014 - AMO White Star Signature Tip Study in Cataract Surgery
- 2014 - Low Dose Steroid Gel for Post Op Inflammation in Cataract Surgery – A Phase 3, Multi-Center, Double-Masked, Vehicle-Controlled, Randomized, Parallel-Group Study to Assess Loteprednol Etabonate Ophthalmic Gel, 0.38% versus Vehicle Gel for the Treatment of Ocular Inflammation and Pain Following Cataract Surgery (Bausch + Lomb).
- 2014 - A Prospective, Single Site Study to Evaluate Endothelial Cell Count in Patients Receiving Triamcinolone/Moxifloxacin/Vancomycin Compounded Ophthalmic Injection Post-Cataract Surgery for the Treatment of Inflammation Associated with Cataract Surgery (Imprimis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- 2013 - The influence of the PRN Dry Eye Omega 3 nutritional regimen in osmolarity in cases of occasional dry eye.
- 2013 - Impact of tear osmolarity on pre-surgical calculations in cataract surgery.
- 2013 - SONATA, a Phase III, multi-center, randomized, double-masked and placebo-controlled study evaluating the safety of a 5.0% concentration of Lifitegrast Ophthalmic Solution compared to placebo in subjects with dry eye.
- 2013 - Adenovirus Rapid Pathogen Screening Study
- 2013 - Lenstec HDO IOL analyzing Dysphotopsia in Pseudophakic patients
- 2013 - Alcon Research Ltd, Effect of blue light filtration on visual performance, protocol A01311 version 1.0
- 2013 - Internal MEA 3 arm Study Restasis BID alone, Restasis with Lotemax induction, Restasis with Bromday Induction.
- 2012 - The use of an equibiconvex quarter diopter aspheric IOL for cataract surgery to measure uncorrected intermediate vision.
- 2012 - Conversion rates for premium services (LRI, Toric and presbyopia correcting IOLs) based on gender and age.
- 2012 - Mixing and matching a toric IOL in the eye with the greater astigmatism and using a blended mini-mono approach with an aspheric mono-focal IOL plus an LRI to correct the spherical and cylinder errors in the eye with the lesser astigmatism.
- 2011 - Abbott Medical Optics – Evaluation of RevitalLens for soft contact lens care
- 2011 - Alcon Pharmaceuticals – Difluprednate Ophthalmic Emulsion 0.05% for postoperative inflammation and pain QID vs BID when paired with an NSAID
- 2010 - Abbott Medical Optics – Evaluation of Blink® artificial tears on its effectiveness for the symptoms of dry eye syndrome
- 2010 - Ista Pharmaceuticals – 6 Month Dry Eye Study
- 2009 - Sanofi-Aventis – Providing ophthalmologic evaluations for a study in which Tamaris, a vascular endothelial growth factor, is being used to help peripheral blood vessels. The study requires dilated ophthalmic funduscopic exams to participants on scheduled intervals
- 2009 - Ista Pharmaceuticals – Efficacy and Safety of Bromfenac Ophthalmic Solution QD vs. Placebo QD for Treatment of Ocular Inflammation and Pain Associated with Cataract Surgery
- 2008 - Ista Pharmaceuticals – Phase II – A Multi-Center, Double Blind, Vehicle-Controlled, Randomized Study of Ecabet Ophthalmic Solution in Patients with Dry Eye Disease
- 2008 - Allergan, Inc. – Phase IV – A Multi-Center, investigator-masked, randomzed, parallel study to compare the IOP lowering efficacy and safety of Combigan (fixed combination of 0.2% Brimonidine Tartrte and 0.5% Timolol Maleate) with Timolol (0.5% Timolol Maleate), when each is used as adjunctive therapy to Xalatan (0.005% Latanoprost) in subjects with Open-Angle Glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension.
- 2007 - Allergan, Inc. – Phase IV – A Multicenter, Masked Evaluation of Ocular Surface Tolerability Associated with Bimatoprost 0.03%, Travoprost 0.004% (BAK free) or Latanoprost 0.005% Therapy in Patients with Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension.
- 2005 – 06 - Alcon Pharmaceutical, Travatan dosing aid study
- 2004 - Wills Eye Hospital – Internet Based Study, Is One of Two Topical Prostaglandin Analogues Significantly More Tolerable Than the Other: Bimatroprost v. Latanoprost?