Help for Dry Eyes
& Treatment of
Dry Eye Problems
At Matossian Eye Associates after our doctors have completed you diagnostic testing and dry eye consultation they will be able to make treatment recommendations for your individual situation. Treatment of dry eye disease requires a “stabilize and maintain” approach to tear film integrity in terms of quality and quantity. This often necessitates a “stackable” therapeutic regimen that can include ongoing modification of pharmacological agents, devices and treatments. Depending on the severity and the cause of your dry eyes, we may recommend a number of different treatment options to help your dry eye problems including prescription medications such as Restasis®, Xiidra® or Cequa™ eye drops, a BlephEx™ Eyelid procedure to clean scurf and bacterial debris from your eyelids, a LipiFlow® treatment to improve the health and function of the Meibomian Glands in the eyelids, and/or IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) Treatment, TearCare® or iLux™ procedure to further stabilize and maintain your tear film and eyelid health.
The prescription of Restasis®, Xiidra® or Cequa™ eye drops, with or without the other treatments, may often help alleviate your symptoms. Even with these and other treatment options, there are some patients that may not respond as well as desired due to some underlying, low-grade inflammatory or infectious process. In these cases, it may be necessary for us to also prescribe an oral antibiotic such as doxycycline or an anti-inflammatory eye drop such as a steroid eye drop.
Dry Eye Masks
Bruder Hot Mask
To help dry eye caused by meibomian gland dysfunction. The mask is heated for approximately 20 seconds in the microwave. For desired temperature, the time can be adjusted in 2 second intervals. Mask should be placed on closed eyes until it reaches room temperature, usually 3-5 mins. Washable and reusable, lasts about 1 year.
eyegeine Instant Hot Mask
For use in meibomian gland dysfunction. Safe, chemically generated heat creates a hot mask without the need of a microwave or a plug. Great for people who travel often. Easy to use on air planes or during hotel stays. Ideal for people who do not own a microwave.
Oral Omega Supplements
Physician Recommended Nutriceuticals (PRN) – Dry Eye Omega
Omega-3 essential fatty acids are helpful in systemically reducing the inflammation of the accessory lacrimal glands of the eyes. In addition, it has been found that these same Omega-3 essential fatty acids are beneficial in controlling chronic lid disease. Dry Eye Omega is formulated with a high concentration of the anti-inflammatory Omega-3, EPA (eicosapentanoic acid), and Vitamin D3. It works from within to help alleviate dry eye syndrome.
At MEA we are sincere believers in the benefits of Omega 3. However, not all Omega 3 supplements are created equal. It is important to take supplements that are found in their triglyceride form which is naturally occurring and has an absorption rate of 69%. Most products on the market are in ethyl ester form whose absorption rate is much lower, at 20%. Additionally, some of the less expensive over-the-counter brands of Omega 3 may contain high levels of PCBs and heavy metals such as mercury.
MEA carries Physician Recommended Nutriceuticals (PRN) Dry Eye Omega which stands behind all of its products with the confidence that each one is of the purest, highest quality marine source Omega 3 available. These products are only available through physician recommendation and are available at Matossian Eye Associates.
PRN Dry Eye Omega
- Natural Triglyceride Form for Maximum Absorption
- Highly Purified and Concentrated
- Molecularly Distilled in a Licensed Facility
- Independent Laboratory Tested
- Free of Mercury, PCBs, and Dioxins
- Free of Pro-Inflammatory Omega-6s!
Science Based Health (SBH) HydroEye
- HydroEye delivers a proprietary blend of omega fatty acids (GLA (from black current seed oil), EPA and DHA), antioxidants and other key nutrients that work together to support a healthy tear film and soothe the ocular surface. This Omega supplement is for those patients who have difficulty tolerating pure Omega 3 from fish sources. HydroEye causes less gastrointestinal issues and the capsules are smaller in size for easier swallowing. HydroEye has been clinically tested and found to support eye comfort, reduce eye irritation and maintain corneal smoothness. Matossian Eye Associates recommends HydroEye for those who suffer from dry eye discomfort due to age, tear deficiency, contact lens wear, computer use, frequent flying, LASIK surgery and other causes.
- Much more powerful than flaxseed oil or fish oil alone, HydroEye provides the unique omega fatty acid, GLA, from black currant seed oil – which is not easily obtained from the diet, plus omega-3 EPA and DHA from highly pure USP-verified fish oil. GLA has been found to play a key role in dampening dry eye irritation in multiple clinical studies. GLA is not found in flaxseed or fish oil. Science Based Health (SBH) HydroEye is available for purchase at Matossian Eye Associates
NuLids is a new innovative treatment that helps symptoms of dry eye disease, including Meibomian gland disfunction. This home based treatment is an electric lid cleaner for those with lid disease when lid scrubs and ointments fail to clear the lids of bacteria, demodex, and debris. This can be especially beneficial for those with contact lenses, blepharitis, or those that appreciate the ease of an electric unit rather than the towelettes.
How to Use the NuLids Device
- Clean the eyelids of any debris or makeup before use
- Apply a lubricating gel to the device (recommended by your eye doctor, but not included with the device)
- Use the device on your eyelids for 30 seconds per eye as instructed once per day
- Discontinue use if any irritation develops
NuLids starter kits include the unit, charger, and disposable tips.
Please CLICK HERE to see our full page of In-Office procedures.