Know the Risks of Eyebrow & Eyelash Enhancement
Did you know that eyebrow and eyelash enhancement treatments performed in salons can have risks you should be aware of? Having your eyebrows and eyelashes treated in a salon may seem like an easy way to enhance your look, but microblading, eyebrow lamination, eyelash lifts and tints can have risks to know about.
Types of Eyebrow & Eyelash Enhancement
- Eyebrow & Eyelash Tinting: During this 15-minute procedure, semi-permanent dye is painted onto the eyebrows or eyelashes to make them appear thicker, darker and fuller. The color lasts for about three to six weeks.
- Eyebrow Microblading: Microblading is also known as eyebrow tattooing, micro feathering or micro shading where a permanent pigment is tattooed into the skin using a needle mounted on a small handheld tool. The effects last for years.
- Eyebrow Lamination: This is a chemical treatment, takes less than 1 hour and does not involve needles or semi-permanent dye, but rather a perming cream is brushed into the eyebrows to allow the hair to be sculpted into a more desirable shape. The procedure effects last for several weeks.
- Eyelash Perm:During an eyelash perm the lashes are coated with an adhesive and curled around rollers. Chemical solutions are then applied to the lashes to create a long-lasting curl with the effects lasting one to two months.
- Eyelash Lift: An eyelash lift, often combined with an eyelash tint, involves combing eyelashes to a silicone shield and holding them there with adhesive while a chemical lotion is applied to break down the protein in each eyelash and encourage it to grow upward instead of outward. The results last about six to eight weeks.
Risks of Eyebrow & Eyelash Enhancement
Eyebrow and eyelash enhancements pose eye health risks because they are so close to the eye. These treatments could cause problems with the eyes and affect vision, especially since there is a risk of sensitivity due to repeated exposure during the treatments. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved any color additives for permanent dyeing or tinting of eyelashes and eyebrows. The agency says permanent eyelash and eyebrow tints and dyes have been known to cause serious eye injuries, including blindness. Despite issuing warnings, the FDA cannot regulate salons. That job falls to state and local governments, which can have different rules. There are no set standards for eyelash and eyebrow tinting and it can be hard to judge how safe it is. Even if the FDA were to approve dyes for tinting, it would still be possible to get infections and allergic reactions, so FDA approval alone does not automatically make the procedure guaranteed totally safe. If you have a reaction to any type of hair dye or cosmetic, you should contact your health care provider as well as schedule an appointment to see us if it involves your eyelashes, eyelids or delicate tissue around your eyes. Call us at Matossian Eye Associates in Pennington, NJ at 609-882-8833, Hamilton, NJ at 609-890-0772 or Doylestown, PA at 215-230-9200, or visit Matossian Eye Associates or Facebook.
Matossian Eye Associates is a multispecialty eye care center staffed by a team of ophthalmologist & optometrist eye doctors and retina specialists, cataract specialists, glaucoma specialists & eye plastic surgery specialists with office locations in Two Capital Way, Suite 326, Pennington, NJ 08534-609-882-8833, 1445 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road, Suite 106, Hamilton, NJ 08619-609-890-0772, 501 Hyde Park, Route 202, Doylestown, PA 18902-215-230-9200, an affiliate of Prism Vision Group.