Each of us has somewhat different risk factors for glaucoma. It is helpful to be aware of your individual risk factors as it affects many of us differently. Your glaucoma risk is increased if:
- You are over 40 years old
- You are African American. Africa Americans are 6-8x more likely to get glaucoma and 6-8 x more likely to have severe vision loss and blindness.
- You have diabetes. People with diabetes are 2x more likely to get glaucoma.
- You are Hispanic American. Hispanic Americans face an increased risk compared to African Americans, but the disease may also progress faster as they age, compared with other ethnic groups.
- You are Asian American. Asians are at an increased risk for the less common types of glaucoma: Angle-Closure Glaucoma and Normal-Tension Glaucoma.
Glaucoma is a leading cause of vision loss, affecting about 3 million people in the United States. Glaucoma is a group of diseases that damages the eye’s optic nerve. The optic nerve transmits visual information to the brain, allowing us to see. Because glaucoma often progresses slowly, affecting just peripheral or side vision, people with glaucoma can lose most of their vision before they even experience any symptoms. Central vision, the vision used to read, drive, or watch TV, is unaffected until the disease is advanced. Just because you think you can see well, doesn’t mean all is well. The key to preventing vision loss from glaucoma is early detection, diagnosis, and treatment. If you or someone you know needs a glaucoma eye exam please schedule an appointment today at Matossian Eye Associates in Pennington, NJ at 609-882-8833, Hamilton, NJ at 609-890-0772 or Doylestown, PA at 215-230-9200, or visit Matossian Eye Associates or Facebook.
Matossian Eye Associates is a multispecialty eye care center staffed by a team of ophthalmologist & optometrist eye doctors and retina specialists, cataract specialists, glaucoma specialists & eye plastic surgery specialists with office locations in Two Capital Way, Suite 326, Pennington, NJ 08534-609-882-8833, 1445 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road, Suite 106, Hamilton, NJ 08619-609-890-0772, 501 Hyde Park, Route 202, Doylestown, PA 18902-215-230-9200, an affiliate of Prism Vision Group.